The year was 2009 and Barb and Lloyd Fitzsimons were busy rearing happy, free and frolicking chickens. Ever keen to supply their contented chooks to a local store, they hit a stumbling block when it came to finding a supplier that matched their firmly held beliefs in ethical farming.
And so Barb and Lloyd’s store in Palmerston North was born. Similar to our parents’ ethos when we were growing up to “run outside and play”, Barb and Lloyd believed what was good for the goose, was good for the gander. Their animals were farmed freely, outside, allowed to run and play like the happy creatures they are.
Recognising that chickens couldn’t steal all the limelight, the Fitzsimons family decided to create a boutique butchery selling only free range and organic meats. The search was on for kindred animal spirits – family farms that could provide the boutique butchery with quality free range pork, beef and lamb.
With Barb and Lloyd flat tack on the farm, a lively addition soon became part of the team. Barb and Lloyd’s daughter Nicola joined the boutique butchery to help create the brand, develop the store and oversee the everyday management of the business (also known as keeping everyone happy).
Last but not least – the name! The Fitzsimons’ family love of food led to a desire to find a name that embodied just how good their boutique butchery offerings were – food so good, you want to eat more of it – like moreish!
And the Moreish boutique butchery was created…
(Moreish: Oxford Dictionary Definition: “So pleasant to eat that one wants more.”)
We believe the food your feed your family should be as naked and natural as the day you were born. You should know what has gone into your food. If you buy meat, it should be just that – meat. Not that indecipherable stuff pumped full of additives or antibiotics. It’s no good for the animals – and it’s no good for us either.
We launched Moreish over a decade ago and we are as happy as pigs in the mud!
What sets us apart from the others…
• Delivery nationwide / next day delivery service
• Solely organically farmed and free farmed, with full traceability by dealing direct with each farmer
• Extensive choice – with over 100 different cuts of meat to choose from
• All our products are dispatched *fresh from the lush green pastures of Aotearoa to your home
• We don't just have the best meat – we have the best butchers too. The quality of our production and packaging is second to none
• Taste! We love eating great food and we are constantly told by our customers that Moreish meats taste like real meat (or how meat used to taste)
• An ever-expanding range of preservative free, nitrate free and gluten free options – no nasties here
• Reducing our carbon footprint – by the end of 2019 all our packaging and bags will be completely home compostable! We offer a recycling service on our reusable ice packs and our unique chiller boxes can also be put out with your local recycling. Looking after our planet is incredibly important to us, its a part of our organic lifestyle, and we continue to strive and source new avenues of sustainability.